Thursday, May 2, 2013

Launching into the Deep

In a beautiful commencement speech given at Southern Virginia University on Saturday, Mitt Romney spoke to the graduates about launching into the deep.  ¨Launch into the deep and your nets shall be filled.¨  He then discussed all that that phrase may entail such as graduating from college, getting married, having children, joining the work force.  He explained that as we move on to new facets of life we must launch ourselves with our faith and ambition in order to truly be successful.  Sitting in the boat will only leave you starving.  But launching into the deep water with your net will enable you to find food.  I watched as many new graduates, some of them being close friends of mine, started a new journey into uncharted waters.  Each of them hungry for success, prosperity and new adventures.

Today that speech remains fresh on my mind as I begin a new journey of my own.  Just over 24 hours ago I boarded a plane that would take me to a new country, lead me to new experiences, and ultimately launch me into the deep.  I have launched into deep waters before but this is a new ocean with new fish to gather.  Fluency in German will not help me here and nor will my knowledge of European and Asian countries.  This is new territory.  I don´t understand the language; not even close.  And I certainly don´t understand various cultural and safety rules.  It is too late to swim back to shallow waters so here I am in the deep end.  With a net in my hand I will plunge deeper and deeper until I begin to satisfy the hunger that I have for this culture and language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment