Tuesday, May 7, 2013

One Hand

If we give ourselves unto Christ, he promises to never leave us alone.  My testimony of this promise has grown tremendously strong over the last few years, particularly through my international travels.  When I was 19 years old I moved to Austria by myself to live with a family I'd never met before.  Although physically I've never felt more alone, I knew that Christ was with me spiritually.  As an adventurous soul I found myself wandering around the European continent often.  I loved visiting other cities and taking in all the history, scenery, culture, and beauty!  Often my ventures would get me into a slightly troubled situation such as wandering down a dangerous alley, taking the wrong bus or train, and getting lost in a foreign country.  But never did I feel that I was in real danger because I felt Christ with me at all times.  If I was alone I could feel His presence at my right hand always.  He would often guide me through cities and help me out of the silly predicaments I wandered into.  Sometimes He would even bless me with a friend to stand by me and wander with me physically.  But no matter what, he was always there, someway, somehow guiding me with one hand.
Last year when my unquenchable thirst for traveling got the better of me again, and I wandered to India by myself, no doubt He was there.  He sat by me in the airport as I endured a 14-hour layover in Italy and guided me to safety and health when I became sick and stressed during another layover in New-Delhi.  When finances fell through, He blessed me with good Samaritans who took great care of me and when I thought I was going to be lonely for the whole trip, he led me towards new, very special friends.  He sat with me as I helped the suffering and He walked with me as I walked through a lifelong dream of seeing the Taj Mahal.  Again He was there, protecting me and guiding me with one hand.
 Now as I sit in my room in another foreign country on a totally new continent for me I can't help but see His influence and guidance in my life yet again.  I feel Christ with me as I wander through the streets of Cusco, Peru.  I feel his calming influence as I restlessly want to experience everything this city has to offer.  When I wander too far into the street I feel Him pull me back to safety.  This time He is with me in more than spirit form.  He is with me in the form of an old friend; one I already have a deep love and respect for.  He is still here, guiding me and protecting me, through my best friend, with one hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment