Monday, May 13, 2013

Traditional

One of the best parts of visiting the islands was getting to fully experience traditions of their culture.  We started off with a very traditional lunch of quinoa soup, fried cheese, various sweet potatoes and beans.  I can honestly say it was one of the best, most authentic meals I've ever had the pleasure of putting into my mouth.  Shortly after the meal we were taken on a hike to some of the ruins at the top.  There at the top we soaked in the beauty as well as participated in the tradition of walking around the temple 3 times, each time making a wish.  Later that evening we were treated to another traditional meal which remains unidentifiable, but still good and then we were taken to the town hall.  When I say 'town hall' keep in mind that that doesn't mean it was big... we were crowded with maybe 100 people in there.  There we were treated to a fiesta with a live band and lots of traditional dancing.  The dancing mostly consisted of holding hands and moving around in a circle.  But with our American spirit we improvised and added some of our own moves, much to the shock and awe of the sheltered locals. The most traditional part of the evening however, was definitely the clothing.  Our housemothers dressed us each in the traditional clothing that they wear every day.  I wish I could accurately describe the clothing but all I can say is that it was heavy and constricting... but still fun to wear for a short time!  Hopefully pictures can help me in describing this part...

No comments:

Post a Comment