Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Help needed!

This is just a quick blog to briefly describe my first day of volunteer work.

The bus ride to my project site is just under an hour.  The bus takes us to the outskirts of the city into the ghetto of the ghetto of the ghetto.  Seriously.  When I arrived yesterday I wasn't even all the way through the door, which basically serves as a hole in a cement wall, before a little girl jumped up on me and hugged me.  She wouldn't let me put her down for almost 15 minutes and when I finally did she kissed me on the cheek first.  When the project site manager introduced me, the children cheered and were genuinely grateful to have me there even though I couldn't understand them.   I spent the afternoon helping children with their homework (mostly just trying to keep them focused), playing games with them that would help them improve their English, and most importantly teaching them about hygiene.  I got to spend time teaching them how to properly wash their heads and brush their teeth so they can learn the importance of taking care of one's self.

The biggest thing I learned is how much attention these kids needs.  They didn't need me to understand them they just needed me to be there for them. This project site and others in this area are desperate for more volunteers so I'm making one more plea to help us get my sister here with me!
Please check out www.volunteerforever.com/volunteer_profile/nicole-gwynn

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, you are a hero! I am so impressed by how hard you've worked to get here, and I know you're going to make a big difference for the kids you're serving. Stay awesome.

    ReplyDelete