Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Grandpa

A week ago I celebrated my 25th birthday which means the other day, the 23rd of May, was the 17 year anniversary of my baptism into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Choosing to be baptized by immersion, to take upon myself Christ's name, and to follow Him was no doubt the best decision I've ever made.
I wish I could say that I've never taken the covenants I made that day for granted but sadly, as is relatable to anyone reading this, that's not the case.  As an average girl I've had my fair share of weak moments.  Moments when I doubt more than I believe.  Moments when fear rules over faith.  And moments when I've lost sight of Christ's love for me.  Which is why I'm so grateful for so many positive and loving examples in my life that help me along the way.
It's this time of year, surrounding my baptism day, that I'm always starkly reminded of two of the brightest examples of faith, love, wisdom, and discipleship in my life.  Seventeen years ago I had the privilege of hearing both of my grandpas speak at my baptism.  I don't remember every word they said but I'll never forget the feeling that was there because it's a feeling I encounter whenever I'm in the presence of one of my grandpas.

At my baptism seventeen years ago my grandpa Schultz began his talk by looking directly at me and saying, "Nicole, you and I are going to have a chat..."  I remember that moment so clearly because I could feel his genuine love for me and the sacred topic he was about to share with me.  It was a special moment as he focused solely on teaching me an important principle of the gospel.  He didn't care that there were many others watching and listening, he simply wanted to help me understand the great gift I'd just been given.
This is something I continue to feel from him every day.  He is a quiet, humble man who shares the gospel with others around him through true charity and good works.  His good works are often unnoticed because he does not seek attention, he simply aims to help those he loves.  Recently, despite his own means and his own needs, he unselfishly provided me with financial support to help me pursue a dream.  This to me was just one of many of Christlike actions he's taken because it was
done in pure love and no glory was sought in return.  His love for Christ shone bright through that act of kindness because of his own pure love and selflessness.


The other speaker at my baptism, my grandpa Gwynn, is also a great pillar of faith on which I lean and look up to.  That day he spoke with such certainty and knowledge which has helped carry me through the last seventeen years.  Recently he stood in front of a crowd of people and declared unwavering faith in Jesus Christ as our Saviour and Redeemer.  This was a crowd of people mourning the loss of a son, father, brother, uncle and friend and was composed mostly of people who were wandering through life without any direction.
In a world of confusion and darkness I am filled with so much admiration for the bravery of my grandpa.  He wasn't worried about what people might think of his beliefs.  He wasn't afraid to stand and let his light shine for so many people that needed it.  His faith in Christ emanated from him to fill the room with peace and comfort.

Earthly words and feelings could never accurately describe the love and gratitude I have for these two men. For the faith they had to listen when truth knocked on their doors a few short decades ago.  And
for the faith they continue to exercise every day as they not only follow Christ, but as they act as true disciples of Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment